Friday, March 28, 2008
"I must break you."
"One day I may be meeting you and hearing how you've changed your life by saying 'Farewell to fat'".
Two years of sitting at a desk apparently is the catalyst for slowing down an impossibly overanxious metabolism. So, two years and 30 lbs. later I've taken a look in the mirror and realized that my natural six pack has vanished under a blanket of pale, soft fat. The only reason I've ever had to not take my shirt off in the summer is from being too skinny. Before I started my desk job, I was actually fairly fit and toned. Several factors probably led to my fall to softness, but most of them would only sound like excuses. Mind you, I am in no danger of being labeled obese. I am still 2% under the normal range of accepted body fat percentage for my age, height, and weight. But, the fat that is there is in that dreaded gut region. I've never had that, so it is kind of disheartening.
After spending the last two years swearing to myself (and everyone else) that I was going to finally get back into shape I'm still not there. The conversation has recently come up with two of my co-workers and we decided that an inter-office competition might be a good stimulus for getting our rears in gear (hey, I rhymed!). The deal? Each of us had to go to our gym and get our body compositions done, and then spend the next 12 weeks trying to affect our fat to muscle ratio. After the 12 weeks we will compare notes and the winner gets taken out to a very expensive reastaraunt by the two losers. Third place pays 75% of the bill, while second place picks up the remaining 25%.
I've already done my body composition (the others have not), and I have gone running 3 times this week already. This weekend I need to work on getting my diet in order and hitting the gym. Running is great, but it's not going to put on muscle. So, wish me luck dear readers. I've been in a good work out routine before, and I found it harder to not exercise than to exercise. And even though I know that, it's still hard to get back to that point.
The really sad reality here? In the end, it's wasn't my health that got me back into the work out thing. It was my wallet.