Last week I posted about the "upcoming" live-action Star Wars television series, and sort of wondered aloud if it would get any traction. And so many different thoughts began firing off in my brain as I thought about Star Wars and the disaster that it has become that I decided to stretch the topic over several posts. Tonight, I'll outline and illustrate the Top Ten Things George Lucas Did to Ruin Star Wars. And, let's face it, he managed to take an almost sure thing and turn it into complete and utter nonsense. (Yes, I own them all. Sue me!)
So without further adieu, behold the wrath of a scorned fan boy.
The Top Ten Things George Lucas Did to Ruin Star Wars
1. Focused too heavily on effects and technology rather than story and characters.
2. Actually directed the prequels himself.
3. Jake Lloyd.
4. Managed to create an interesting character in Qui Gon Jin, and then botched it by killing him off. And then further ruined things by giving the whole Jedi Ghost story thread thing a throw away line at the end.
5. Actually wrote the prequels himself. (What the hell was The Phantom Menace actually about?)
6. Jar Jar Binks.
7. Completely tossed out the story lines of the uber-successful Tim Zahn Thrawn trilogy (which did more to revitalize and curry interest in the idling Star Wars franchise than Lucas did before and since the original films).
8. Completely blew Anakin's turn to the dark side.
9. Killed the mystery of the force with Midichlorians. Ignoramus!
10. Killed all of the mystery of the Sith and the dark side.
Those are the major thorns in my side, but there are many more. Join me next week when I discuss what George Lucas could have done to make the prequels a better (and truer to the original) story arc.